Tuesday, September 25, 2012

The Bean.

Way back in the spring Shin and I decided that it was time for us to join the baby making business. We talked about all of the usual humm drum things like money, maternity leave, insurance, day care, etc. We also played around with the fun stuff: baby names, nursery ideas and of course my dream of having a blue eyed Japanese baby. So after some serious and not so serious chats I headed to my doctor to tell her that we were 'ready'.

The doctor also had lots of things to talk about. She told me that my weight, age and medical history might make it quite difficult to conceive (seriously, my AGE?! I'm 35, not 50). She listed different pregnancy options and prescribed some Chinese herbs to "make things easier". By this point I was tired of talking and just wanted to get to the part where we have lots of sex, so off I went with my herbs and thermometer she sold me.

After about a week of taking the herbs 3 times I day I was totally over them. They smelled bad, tasted bad and they were making my stomach upset. I would wake up in the morning and the first thing I would think of was that awful medicine. Just the thought would make me nauseous but I would chug it down like a trooper knowing that it would "make things easier."

Cut to 3 weeks later, still taking the herbs but now feeling bad all day long. Not to mention being sensitive to smells and tastes...what had that crazy woman prescribed me!? At the suggestion of my wise and wonderful husband, I went back to the doctor to ask if there was something else I could take. Also, I wanted to ask for a refund for my thermometer. How could I have a temperature over 37 degrees every day without actually being ill?

I told her in detail how I was feeling, and asked about the broken thermometer she'd sold me, to which she replied "sounds like you're pregnant".

Oh.

Duh.

She did an ultrasound and told me that this early in the game we probably won't be able to see anything but low and behold the little bean appeared! I immediately started crying and the nurses cheered while the doctor congratulated me. Unfortunately, Shin was not there that day and unable to share in the moment.

Turns out that the day I went in to tell the doctor that I was 'ready', I was already pregnant but it was too early for the pregnancy to turn up in any tests. Skipped out of the clinic and called Shin to congratulate him on having great sperm.


No comments:

Post a Comment