Monday, October 7, 2013

HAIR!

The ways a pregnancy changes your body are countless; it spreads, it stretches, it swells but after baby is born things (for the most part) return to normal. 

Although I think my hips might have missed that memo.

It is said that one of the positive changes that occurs during pregnancy is hair growth. For most women their hair tends not to fall out, so along with that special maternal glow, mamas-to-be are sporting luxurious locks. This is all fine and dandy if you have a normal head of hair, even better if your hair is thin, but what if you already have a ton of hair to begin with?

I have a ton of hair.

And it is by no means luxurious.


My hair is dry and I can find split ends a week after it has been cut. It is so thick that I develop dreadlocks from sleeping, and I haven't owned a hairbrush in years because the handles snap off during brushing. 'Triangle' is the natural shape my hair takes, and I have yet to have a hairdresser open a conversation with anything other than "you have A LOT of hair". Nedless to say, I WANT my hair to fall out.

By the end of my pregnancy my hair had gotten out of control, it was heavy, hot, and no matter what kind of cut I had it maintained its basic triangular shape. The only thing that kept me from hacking it all off then and there, was the fact that after giving birth it would start to fall out again.

I couldn't wait!

After Kio was born, one month went by, then two and three - I was starting to worry about my posture from carting around that massive mane.

As I was waiting, other members of the Hirano clan were experiencing hair issues of their own.

As spring gave way to summer, which in Japan means that the humidity has set in, Mikan began to shed her winter coat. It may be rather 'fair weathered' of me but I can't stand my cat during June and July. 

Cat. Hair. Everywhere.


guess it should have come as no surprise that Kio was born with a full head of hair. He also has a double crown; both of which have lent themselves to some pretty funky dos.



Following Mikan's cue, Kio also started to shed his locks. 

Rather than falling out evenly, Kio's hair only fell out on the sides at the back of his head. Thus he was left with, what my mom dubbed, his 'ear-wings' and a bit of an unruly pompadour going on uptop. 


So here I was with a cat that was losing hair by the fistful and a baby following not far behind - what about meeee?

As with all things I just needed to be patient and one morning near the beginning of July it happened - who knew that a handful of hair could bring a smile to someone's face. 

Our apartment was covered in hair - on some days it got so bad that I felt like I was constantly running the vacuume. Mikan was being brushed and lint rolled daily.


Again, there should be no surprise that I have a cat that likes to be lint rolled. If she even senses that the lint roller is going to be used she comes running.

I decided that chopping my hair would make the shedding process (followed by crazy sprouts of hair sticking up all over the place when it starts to grow back) easier. Although it wasn't the Jenna Elfman inspired coif that I had asked for...


...it's not so bad.


Finally, what to do about Kio? 

We let him rock his nutty hair for the summer mostly because we didn't know what else to do with it. 


We could've taken him to a hair dresser, but as he couldn't sit on his own yet, I was unsure of just how that would work. As well, I was scared to cut it myself - bad hair cuts grow back but I would never forgive myself if I nicked him with the scissors. 

As with many things it was the Sugar Fairy to the rescue.

She showed me the baby haircut scissors she uses on her son, which I promptly headed out to buy. Resulting in...

Kio's first haircut!

Before 

(The ear-wings had gotten way out of control).


During.




And after!


In only twently minutes my baby was replaced by a little boy. 

*sniff*

No comments:

Post a Comment