Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Meet Kay.

In October I turned 37. Not an overly exciting number but, as one person 'kindly' pointed out, it's only three years until I'm 40.

Thanks sis.

Just as a reminder, I'm only a year and eight months older than you are!

Inevitably that got me thinking about age, and I came to the conclusion that I am (hopefully) somewhere around the halfway point of my life. Initially I found that thought quite depressing. However, I started to think about all that I've done with my 37 years, and I realized that life has been pretty good to me.

As I sifted through the various milestones, there were a few holes, but of course there is still time to fill them. In fact, I've just filled one recently by purchasing...

My first car!


That's right folks. I've been a licensed driver for 20 years but I have yet to own a car.

UNTIL NOW!

Last week I became the proud owner of my first car, and her name is Kay.

She is about the size of a can of tuna. Her engine may only be rivaled by my hairdryer. And she's white. Which in my opinion, when it comes to vehicles, is a colour that only belongs on limousines and ambulances.

But she is all mine.

By the way, I shared the above hairdryer analogy with Shin earlier today, and he thinks that my hairdryer is probably stronger.


Up until recently, I've done fine without owning a car. I've borrowed or rented when needed, otherwise I've made due with public transportation. Although I absolutely abhor taking the bus, and tend to taxi and little more than I should, I have endless respect for Japan Rail and find taking the train more relaxing than driving.

And then I had a baby.

Now taking the train is kind of a hassle. With Kio in his stroller I need to take an elevator to the platform. The elevators are always out of the way, and there are some stations (namely the one closest to my hairdresser and the shopping centre that I frequent) that don't even have elevators! So I have to schlep Kio and his stroller up and down the stairs by myself - luckily someone always takes pity on me and lends a hand, but that still doesn't remove the danger that we could go tumbling down the stairs at any moment.

And don't even get me started on taking the bus!

Anyway, since Kio was born I've been managing, but I've also been complaining. I often leave the house with Kio in his stroller, and return with him in his baby carrier as the stroller is laden down with diapers or groceries or kitty litter. Sometimes all three. We've had to send our stroller in twice now to have the wheels fixed. I blame one of the repair trips on Korean Air and the other on kitty litter.

Shin tries to help as much as he can, but seriously the guy rides a motorcycle. Diapers tied down with bungee cords are the antithesis of cool.

I suppose teeny-tiny white cars aren't what you'd call cool, but they certainly make shopping easier, and keep you dry. Shin has officially been able to retire his rain suit.


Needless to say, Shin and I are happy that little Kay has joined the Hirano clan. But the jury may out on how Kio feels about it.

You see, Kio hates traveling by car.

With a passion.


For the most part, he cries from the time that he first lays eyes on his car seat, to the 'thank God we're here' moment when we reach our destination. We have figured out a few tricks that help him keep his cool. I often sit with him in the back. If it's night-time, we generally drive with the interior light on. Finally, when the weather permits it, we drive with the window open.

That's a lot of tap dancing just for a trip to Costco.

All of the above took place during the many times that we have borrowed Shin's parents' Prius. Would it be the same with Kay?

Apparently not!

Since Kay has joined the family, Kio has been out for a drive pretty much everyday, and to date has only had one screaming fit! Unfortunately, it was while I was driving on my own and not much could be done to comfort him.

He has even napped in the car. Definitely a first!

With the addition of Kay, we’ve sadly had to let go of another member of the clan.

Anyone want to buy a scooter?



No comments:

Post a Comment