Saturday, November 30, 2013

Mommy Thumb

In the past I've heard mothers say that they wish that their child came with a handbook. Admittedly, it would make parenting your individual child a lot easier, but where's the sense of adventure? Where's the feeling of accomplishment when you get it right for once? Although I think that I'll survive without the handbook (hopefully Kio will too), there are a few tidbits of wisdom that I wish someone had passed on, and today I want to focus on one of them: The 'correct' way to pick up your baby.

A no brainer you say?

I beg to differ.

Of course, most people that posses an iota of common sense know that you don't pick up your baby by one arm or by their head, but just in case...


From the time Kio was about three months old, I've been dealing with tendinitis in my left wrist and thumb. Many women get it when they are pregnant, but mine showed up after the fact.

In the beginning there was some tingling and an occasional spasm of pain, especially when I was picking Kio up out of his crib. I dismissed it as one of the side effects of having a rather pudgy baby.

After a couple of months the pain was constant and it became necessary to wear a wrist supporter.

As an aside, I would like someone to please tell me why supporters either come in, "Filthy After the First Wear White" or "Nobody Actually Has This Skin Tone Nude"? Maybe that's where my millions await me - designer wrist supporters.


Yes?

Anyway, I decided that it was time to consult Dr. Google and figure out what the heck was going on.

Dr. G: Trouble lifting even small objects, like a coffee cup?
Me: Check!

Dr. G: Restricted range of movement in the thumb?
Me: Double check!

Dr. G: Pain on the thumb side of the wrist while twisting or gripping?
Me: Any excuse not to wash dishes, check number three!

Dr. G: Hurts to make a fist?
Me; You bet!

Dr. G: Weak hand - afraid you'll drop things?
Me: Like my baby!? Hell yes!

And thus I was self-diagnosed with 'Mommy Thumb'.

Apparently, this form of tendinitis is common in new mothers because they repeatedly pick up their babies incorrectly.

This is where a manual might have come in handy.

After months of hooking my thumbs under Kio's armpits I was informed (again by Dr. Google) that this method of picking up an infant is wrong. If done repeatedly, it can lead to a repetitive strain injury.

No kidding!

Apparently, what I should have been doing is using flattened hands on either side of his ribcage and then picking him up.

I have since tried this and it is virtually impossible - it might have worked when Kio was a teeny newborn, but now that he's in all of his pudgy glory...no way! So much for your silly advice Dr. Google, perhaps it was time to go to a real doctor.

It took Real Person Doctor less than a minute to diagnose me with De Quervain's Syndrome (aka Mommy Thumb). He spent some time explaining exactly what was going on in my wrist, and in true Japanese style, it was done as cutely as possible.


He said that a shot of cortisone would more than likely fix me right up, but warned that it would be 'quite painful' as the injection site is next to a nerve.


'Quite' painful my ass!

I realize that after going through natural childbirth I should have an altered concept of pain. But in all honesty, I don't really remember the pain part of the whole ordeal. So, keeping childbirth out of the equation, that needle was probably the most painful thing that I have ever experienced!

At the time, Kio was fussing a bit so Shin was busy and unable to provide a hand to hold - more than likely for the best. I'm sure that there would've been a broken bone or two! I grabbed the closest thing I could find for support (the handle of Kio's stroller) and bore down...

If the mere thought of a needle makes you feel queasy, I recommend skipping over the next bit.

Once the needle was in, everything went in slow motion.

Some pressure...

A little more pressure...

A kind of 'pop' as the needle worked it's way around some cartilage...

And then total freakin' agony!

As I was gritting my teeth against the excruciating pain an odd thought popped into my head - in the movies you always see people biting down on a stick when they are experiencing something extremely painful; I would've given just about anything for a stick at that moment.

And then it was over.

Time to exhale.

For the next couple of hours my thumb felt like it had been to the dentist. After the numbness subsided the familiar pain returned but I figured it was from the needle and I'd be as right as rain in the morning.

Wrong!

After all that, my Mommy Thumb was left uncured.

This all took place in September and according to doctor's orders I've been resting said thumb as much as humanly possible.


But when you have a rather busy nine month old, and no dishwasher, rest does not come easily.

Plus, I couldn't find any little pillows.

After a couple of close calls where my thumb stopped working altogether, I went back to the doctor and demanded more drastic action be taken (as long as it doesn't involve another needle). So next month I'm having a little outpatient operation to snip the sheath that covers the swollen tendons.

Hopefully it will go as 'cutely' as this...





No comments:

Post a Comment