Thursday, December 13, 2012

Sleep.

I've never really been any good at sleep. For most people it's not a skill that needs to be practiced, but for me there's a whole line-up of things I should do in order to procure those much sought after ZZZs.

My bedroom has to be soundproof, lightproof and the temperature between 24 and 27 - no matter the season. I need a fairly hard mattress and my pajamas and blankets must not constrict my movements in anyway. I'm a thrasher so the above is fairly difficult. Finally, I always sleep better if I have a long bath before bed and chamomile tea never hurts.

Divas of the world, look out! There's a new princess in town.

Achieving the aforementioned sleep situation is next to impossible and I have long since given up trying.  I have all sorts of 'Sleepy Time' teas, ear plugs of every shape and size and quite the collection of eye masks that for the most part go unused. Luckily, I don't actually need much sleep. Five or six hours a night with a night of 8 hours or so every couple of weeks and I'm golden.

Needless to say, pregnancy hasn't helped my sleep situation at all.

The First Trimester

Way back in the days of morning sickness and doctor advised bed rest, I actually got more sleep than at any other time in my life. For the first time I experienced sleeping twelve hours straight, waking up to eat (and / or vomit) and then heading back to bed for more. I cat napped whenever possible, including curled up on the floor at work. I spent the majority of my nine day holiday in August in bed.

Sleep-o-rama.

During my three month hibernation I was also dreaming like a pro. I don't even know if you could describe what was going on in my head dreams.

It was like television on LSD.

I was reading the series A Song of Ice and Fire during the day and at night I would replay the scenes again in my sleep. George R. R. Martin meets Hunter S. Thompson. Honestly, it was a bit too much.

The Second Trimester

As soon as the morning sickness passed I had energy to spare.

Mountains of it.

Of course, with all that energy my old sleeping habits resurfaced but with a twist. I would head to bed at around midnight and sleep dream free for a few hours. At around 3:00 or 4:00 I would wake up.

STARVING.

Yogurt, fruit, a sandwich, leftovers from dinner, scrambled eggs, pancakes - it didn't matter what was on the menu, but there was no way I could even consider falling back to sleep until I had fed the beast.

Somewhere at around 6:00 I would slip into a gluttonous coma until my alarm went off and it was time for breakfast.

This went on for weeks, until one night I woke up in my crumb infested bed and found that the urge to binge had been replaced by a new sensation...

The Third Trimester

Or what I like to call, the months of pee.

Seriously, all I do is pee. If I even look at a glass of water I have to run to the bathroom. And don't get me started on the topic of laughing or sneezing.

For some reason I seem to be able to control the urge during the day but at night it's a whole other story. At the moment my record for late night toilet trips has maxed out at nine in one night. That doesn't leave a lot of time for sleeping.

The Bean is growing by leaps and bounds these days. For a while there I am fairly sure he was trying out for the Olympic trampoline team and using m bladder to practice.

I wonder if he'll compete for Japan or Canada?

At an ultrasound we had a few weeks ago he had made the shift to a head down position. Ahhh, the days of bladder abuse would now be behind me. Heck no!

He is now resting comfortably, using said bladder as a pillow.

I realized that through all these wonky sleeping antics that I am getting closer and closer to the time when it won't be my bladder, or cravings, or nutty dreams that are robbing me of my slumber. In about nine short weeks it'll be The Bean himself that'll keep me from dueling with the sandman.

And I can't freakin' wait!

In the meantime, the rest of our little family is doing double duty and sleeping for two. Thanks guys. xo xo xo


 

No comments:

Post a Comment