Thursday, January 24, 2013

Labour Beads.

Upon discovering that I was carrying the Bean, I purchased the standard first time mom pregnancy books, downloaded a couple of apps to my phone and joined a February 2013 online pregnancy forum.

What can I say? I like to be well informed.

The books have armed me with loads useful and paranoia inciting information. The apps keep track of how many weeks I have left until the Bean arrives (like I'd forget!) and supply me with terrifying fruit references approximating the size of our baby. A few weeks ago he was about the size of a pineapple and now he's a watermelon. The image of giving birth to either of those forms of produce scares me to death - can't they just use centimeters and grams? Finally, the forum has let me see a side of humanity that I had no idea existed.

The phenomenon that happens when you let over 1000 hormonal pregnant woman loose on the Internet.

Terrifying.

They bully each other. They call each other names that have caused even moi to blush. They mercilessly complain about their husbands and mother-in-laws. And they are obsessed with talking about personal grooming - WAY too much information. But, if you can sift through the raging hormones, occasionally this band of crazies comes out with some useful tidbits.

I learned that balled up tin foil will keep a cat from sleeping in the crib. Of course you have to take it out when baby arrives.

I learned that crumbling oatmeal in your bath relives itchy baby belly.

I learned about, and subsequently became obsessed with, Petunia Pickle Bottom designer diaper bags.

And I learned about labour beads.

Labour beads symbolize wishes from friends and family for the mother and baby during birth. Depending on the number of beads, the mother makes a bracelet or necklace to wear while she is in labour to keep the thoughts of their loved ones with them. I'd never heard of this before, but I fell in love with the idea and requested that it be part of my baby shower.

All of the guests that came to my shower brought a bead and labour message for the Bean and I. There were also beads from those that couldn't be there and I ended up with quite a collection. It was so interesting to see what everyone chose! A gorgeous orange bead brought all the way from Scotland because it's my favourite colour. A butterfly bead symbolizing the Aztec warrior mother goddess, Itzpapalotl. A super cool black bead engraved with a silver dragon (quite similar to the dragon that I am 'engraved' with). Each one as unique as the person that gifted it. Initially I was worried that I wouldn't be able to remember who gave me each bead, but as it turns out I've had no problems.

Will test that out during labour and see how it goes.

Shin and I also bought a bead to add to the string. He choose one made of green tigers eye as it is said to protect the person who wears it. It is also helpful in reestablishing harmony in our lives. I selected a red goldstone for the vitality and energy that it is said to bring.


I am usually not the kind of person that buys into this sort of thing. I just really like the idea of having something from people that are special to me close by while I'm bringing our child into the world.

I have just one more thing to share today. Of all the messages I recieved along with a bead my absolute favourite is the one I got from my sister-in-law's ten year old son...


Yep. That pretty much says it all.





.

No comments:

Post a Comment